I'll start here, I completely avoid the news, I don't pay attention to politics and I never try to discuss them. But this last week how can anyone avoid it? I will have to admit, the state of this country has me shaken up a bit. The thought of a major recession is scary, the thought of a major recession with 6 kids is even scarier, the thought of a major recession with 6 kids and a husband who needs perpetual medical care is very scary. It had me contemplating stocking up on some veggie seeds and moving the process of getting chickens up. I even thought maybe having a hunting weapon isn't such a bad idea or at least get something other than blunt tip arrows. It had me thinking maybe I need to research and learn how to use the butter churn that was my dad's when he was growing up. It had me thinking maybe I should check the status of the cloth diapers in my attic that I swore I would never have to use again. Seriously. Maybe I've watched too much Revolution, Walking Dead and Hunger Games. I have had to remind myself, I have no control over these things. We as Americans over the years put way too much trust into our elected government and now we are in trouble. Am I worried, absolutely. But I have decided to not be scared. Here is what I have decided...
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus' name
When darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.
The Bible doesn't promise us blue skies and sunshine, in fact it even says we will have troubles. Sorry, Mama Odie and Mr. Osteen, hate to burst your bubble. But what He does promise us a place to put our hope. I know to non-Christians that sounds like a bunch of bologna and that's ok. I'm ok with being labeled crazy or a fanatic. I've got a couple of non-Christian friends that don't think I'm crazy and they will stick by me. :)
I'll give y'all an example, a couple of weeks ago an acquaintance of mine had a young child quickly get very sick. Like critically ill. I watched, well read, how this husband and wife totally leaned on God to comfort them in their extreme time of need. Their child is now doing a better, by the way. Until you have witnessed someone take refuge in Christ like that you will never understand what it means. There is something so calming about just putting it all in our Savior's hands.
Christ alone; cornerstone
Weak made strong in the Saviors love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all
I witnessed this family through a major storm rest on His unchanging grace and place their anchor in Jesus. They proclaimed through each day that He is Lord of all. I mentioned to another friend that I couldn't imagine how non-Christians survived through those type of storms without Christ to lean on.
Another example, I watched another friend last week go through some scary health issues. This sweet woman quoted scripture she had memorized over the last year to comfort herself through different procedures. Her anchor was held within the veil. She had no idea a storm was brewing but she was ready when it hit. I could give more examples of people I have witnessed take refuge in Christ but I need to get to the point.
Things are in a scary place right now, our US government is in turmoil, our healthcare system is on the brink of I don't know what, our economy is in a bad way, our local school system is making a very fast swirl down the toilet (totally thankful for amazing people in place in our town that are holding things up though), and our society is in a way that I can't imagine how it can ever turn back to the Cornerstone. Here's what I know, as long as I place my anchor in Jesus and not any other earthly thing or entity I will be fine. I may have to learn to use a bow & arrow or learn how to harvest insulin from a pig but in the end I know where my anchor is and things will be ok. I may have to start hoarding rice and beans under my bed or learn how to churn butter but things will be ok.
When He shall come with trumpet sound
Oh, may I then in Him be found
Dressed in His righteousness alone
Faultless stand before the throne
Just a side note, Mr. Kim Noblitt if Cornerstone is on the set list for Sunday morning a heads up would be nice. Someone get this message to him!
Also, this is not a springboard for a political conversation! I have put my head back in the sand today.
Lastly, this song is Cornerstone by Hillsong. Check it out on YouTube if you need to hear it today.
I love you and your beautiful heart, Kelly. I wrote about something quite similar to this a couple weeks ago, I think. Not to start a political debate, but as a reminder for us to pray for our nation and her leaders! That's one thing I am guilty of not doing enough. Thanks for another reminder~I also love the verse Hebrews 6:19:
ReplyDeleteThis hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God's inner sanctuary.
This song gets played over and over and over in my house...I never really knew why either, but I can't tell you how many times I've been going through something and I will remember the lyrics to a certain part. And...I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think I saw this song on our playlist for church this week.
:)
OK, as long as I can psych myself up to not be a crying crazy during service I will be ok. I just can't turn and look at the beautiful students in the top corner singing their hearts out hands raised unashamed.
ReplyDeleteThis very song has been stuck in my head this week too!! I also pulled it up on utube to listen...even sat in my car in the garage after I got home until it went off the radio! I love it and it has brought me comfort as well....Thanks for sharing Kelly :)
ReplyDelete