Monday, September 26, 2016

How to help start the college process for your senior

So, I thought there are a lot of us mamas & daddys going through this right now and a little checklist might be helpful. 

  • Sign up for a Tiger Blue account (or whatever college your child is considering)     CHECK
  • Attend meeting at the high school about fafsa & scholarship info   CHECK

                      ok, I'm doing good, we've got the first 2 items checked off the list. 

  • Sign up on fafsa.gov for an account and make sure it is .gov not .com
    •  7am
                      Well that is easy enough, open browser, type in fafsa.gov watch the page open and
                      quietly freak out because holy crap my oldest child is about to go to college.  Quickly
                      close the page and play Panda Pop instead.

    • 7:45 am 
                      All out of lives on Panda Pop so I really need to make a to do list.  BUT it is time to get
                      the other 4 up and ready for school so I will have to postpone until 9am. 

    • 9am
                      OK, this for real, I have to stop procrastinating.  Going in Abigail's room to find the to
                      do list they gave us at the above mentioned meeting.  While looking, realize I haven't
                      brushed my teeth yet and oh, now I need my glasses for all of this reading.

    •  9:15am
                      Finally, sitting down to find the to do list in the stack of papers from above meeting. 
                      Oh, look, there is that parent brag sheet info that I was supposed to make for Abigail to
                      turn into guidance.  I wonder if she turned in a picture of herself to guidance?  Focus,
                      you have to make a college application process to do list!
    • 9:20am
                       Actually reading all of this stuff.  Texting Abigail now to remind her she needs to get
                      the transcript paperwork because they are free this week!  Oh look, Facebook. FOCUS!

    •   9:25am
      • Going back to fafsa.gov 
      • My stomach hurts
      •  I need more coffee
      • I can't do this
      • My baby girl is starting college in less than 1 year.  Those people screaming at the football game on Saturday will be her.  She will paint her face blue.  
      • But I went to college and my first semester was a flop.  I did meet my awesome friend Julie there though. 
      • Oh my goodness, she may meet her future husband in less than a year! 
      • She isn't going to be sitting at the dinner table for our Monday night "nice dinners". 
      • Amelia is going to have a room to herself! 
      • Hey, it has been almost 2 hours,  I have at least 3 lives on Panda Pop by now for sure.

    • 9:43am
                      Successfully created my own FSA ID.  There was some pretty serious wordage on there
                      about not creating Abigail's for her, so I guess her part will have to wait.  Now to
                      Ticketmaster to buy Panic! At the Disco tickets.

  • Get the Parent brag sheet in order
    • This should be easy.  I'm telling why my baby girl is awesome
    • Now I'm crying over how amazing my kid is.  Writing takes well over an hour plus a 1 hour lunch break.   
  • Now to really buckle down and figure out this Fafsa junk.  
    • Oh wait, I totally have 5 lives in Panda Pop again.  I'll just play for a minute, after all, Abigail will be home soon and she can help me make a list.  
  • Making a list is hard, going to call a friend or two and see if they made a list.  Melissa, I sure hope you have a list for me. 
Sorry, everyone, maybe this blog should have a different title but here is a shameless picture of my amazing senior. 






No comments:

Post a Comment