Friday, August 23, 2013

Stupid things people say and what I want to say

After last week's thought provoking blog, I decided to lighten it up today!  It may provoke some thoughts but hopefully it will just make you shake you head and think, oh no, I've said that before.  Tuesday Night while at my oldest daughter's parent night at the high school a lady said something to me that was just plain old rude.  To her she probably thought it was funny, to me it was rude.  While walking around the high school with a 5 month old strapped to my front I know people were thinking things but this lady just spouted off exactly what was in her little brain.  She looked at me and said, "You have a high schooler and a baby in a carrier!  What were you thinking!  Obviously, you weren't thinking!"  She didn't even laugh, she said it in a nasty way.  Say what?!  I was dumbfounded.  After she scurried on down the stairs I realized a friend was in front of me and said to her, well that was rude.  Let's play what if...  What if I had been trying for 14 years to have another baby and it finally happened or I had finally adopted this baby?  What if I was 15 when I had my first and I was finally old enough to have another?  What if this was my high schooler's baby that I was just holding for her?  None of those are true, but that lady didn't know me!  She didn't know my situation to be passing judgement on me.  After I got my wits about me, I thought of many sassy come backs that were probably better left unsaid.  Like, wow you wore that out of the house, you really weren't thinking, or wow you paid someone for that haircut, you really weren't thinking.

Here are some other comments people make about my duggaring (my made up word for mass producing children from one's womb):
           Wow, are those all yours?  I want to reply, yes and we left 4 more at home with the dog.
           What do you drive to fit all of those in the car?  It's just 8 people, we fit in a Odyssey.
            You're gonna need a shotgun one day!  Have you seen Rusty, we have no need for a shotgun
            That's gonna be a lot of weddings to pay for!  We are just hoping they elope!
            You need to stock up on tampons!  Really people?!
            It's usually followed by telling Rusty he will need to leave the house for 1 week out of the month.
            You are crazy!  OK, that one might be true
            Are you catholic?    ummm... no
            Are you mormon?   ummm... no
            Baptist have a lot of kids?  Some do, but only the really crazy ones
            Do you homeschool?  I want to say, do you think I want all these kids at home with me all day!? I honestly think I am the only mom of many that doesn't homeschool. Matthew 5:13-16 is our reason, in case you were wondering.
            You must have a ton of laundry.  I want to reply to this I make them wear stuff 4x before I'll wash it! That's not true of course but I still want to say it.
            And of course my favorite....  You know what's causing that right.  
                    I mean come on, I'm 35 years old, do you know how dumb that sounds?!  Please don't ever say that again to someone, it is really dumb.  Sorry, if you've said it to me before.  
            How many more are you going to have?  1st none of your business, 2nd Rusty's aunt said for us to tell people, until we have an ugly one.  She has 10, so far.  
             No one actually ever said this to me but a friend who has four kids was asked if they had a TV in their room!  There are so many more, but I will stop.

And since I've been pregnant for like 1/2 of my married life, I've heard some dumb comments there too:
              You look like you're about to pop
               You must be having twins
               There is no way you still have (fill in a number) weeks left
               You've gotten a lot bigger since I saw you last
               You're STILL pregnant
I will admit to guilt in saying these things but I have seen the error of my ways and do not say them anymore!  Trust me, a pregnant woman knows exactly how big she is the moment she tries to roll over in the bed, tries to put on maternity clothes that are now too little, tries to get off the couch, tries to fit in a desk at parent night at the school, turns the stove on with her belly, can't cut her toenails, can't reach the top shelf in the kitchen, tries to breathe, you get my point.

Here are 2 more random things that I hear often from people that are just stupid:
                How do you stand that beard on your husband?  It would be just awful to me.  Seriously, I hear this more than you would think.  I think, ummm... do you realize that is my husband whom I love and have bore 6 children with that you are dogging? I'm thinking in my head, what if I said how can you stand that giant nose on your husband, or that annoying laugh, or the fact that he likes the Cowboys?
                Making fun of one of my kids names.  I mean adults do this.  Come on people, show some etiquette.  I didn't name them Blue or Apple or North or Scout, which are all names I would never make fun of to those lovely parents' faces even if I think they are weird.  Try not even to say, what an interesting name, because we all know that is code for, what an awful name!

So the point is, watch what you say.  Think before you let some dumb comment pour out of your mouth.  Even better, watch what you say in front of your kids so those dumb comments don't pour out of their mouths.  I could share some stories there but I'm afraid you might see some kind of resemblance to what I said and realize it was your kid.  I don't generally get my feelings hurt.  I have a thick skin and can laugh a lot off., but others don't and you may be sending them home to cry themselves to sleep.  I am not in anyway saying we need to be politically correct but just be kind and try not to say things that might just hurt someone's feelings.  You have been warned with this list, you now have no excuse. Stick with "bless your heart, what a beautiful family" or "bless your heart, I know you must be ready to have that baby."  And if anyone knows the lady from CHS who is hopefully still trying to pull her foot from her mouth, send her a link to this blog!
         
Feel free to share other stupid things you hear folks say a lot...


No comments:

Post a Comment