This summer with the addition of a new baby boy, Finn, plus our older baby boy addition, Pitt, we decided it would be better to stay home this year instead of going on a vacation. This week I had labeled our staycation week. We were going to spend longer than normal at the pool & even pack a lunch to eat by the pool, we were going to the zoo, make a stop at the suddenly famous Jerry's Sno Cones, a trip to the movies, and a visit to the sprinkler park. I'll be honest, I hardly ever go to the sprinkler park because it is just plain miserable to me. I had planned out a menu for dinner for the week of yummy stuff like we were going out to eat. So we got the extra long, day at the pool done first. Hung out with some friends there, enjoyed cheese puffs and pb&j's poolside and everyone came home with pink cheeks. That is my kind of vacation day. Everything running smooth, right. That afternoon Abigail starts complaining she doesn't feel good. Amelia and I both thought she was faking so she wouldn't have to help with dinner and little siblings. Don't judge me, you know you've been there and I'm just publicly confessing, sorry Abigail. I cooked our family favorite Fettuccine Alfredo. Rusty took one bite as we were making plates and said what did you do different. Nothing of course, Kroger brand alfredo mix, same chicken, same pasta. I tasted it and quickly spit it out! The milk had apparently scorched when I was making the sauce and the whole thing was awful!! Just awful!!! So, Digorno pizzas to the rescue. Staycation set back #1.
Next, Rusty says, "Hey Kelly, I need you to come look at something." That is always something that makes me nervous. He took me back to the bedroom and is saying as we walked back, I saw this this morning and didn't think about it but I just saw it again and I know it can't be right. I was getting that I'm gonna puke feeling in my stomach. Our bedroom floor was pushing up and wet. Yippee! A water leak. I checked the closet, very wet and very buckled up. I called my trusty plummer and of course he is on vacation and can get to me Wednesday evening. I like him so much, I'll wait. In the meantime, I'm keeping the water off and turning it back on ever few hours to flush toilets and get drinks of water. 6 kids + water off = a very sad mommy. Staycation set back #2.
After dinner Amelia and I made a quick trip to the store for some jewelry making supplies, more on that later, and when we got home Abigail was under a blanket saying she was cold! I checked her temp and of course she had a fever! This morning I heard her awake at 7am and when I went in to check on her she was in a sweatshirt and under the covers. Five minutes later she was puking! Yippee for puking and needing the water off! Staycation set back #3.
So here I am trying to have a decent fun week for cheap and now I'm just trying to remember what Bro. Chuck said about trust Sunday morning. Someone help me out with that because my zipper was stuck in my Bible bag and I couldn't get my stuff out to take notes this week. I'm looking for something to be thankful for. #1, I'm glad I had a coupon for the pizzas and had a few on hand. #2, I'm glad I wasn't on vacation with a pinhole leak springing while we were gone to flood the whole bedroom and destroy stuff before I got home. #3, I'm thankful that Abigail will get better in a day or so and that we have health insurance if she needs to go to the doctor. #4, my mom will be here soon to take 1/2 of my kids to the $2 movie. They better use the potty before they come home! #5, I just realized I can listen to the sermon online. Guess what I'm doing after I hit publish? There we go, officially more things to be thankful for than be upset about.
Way to turn things around:) I try and fail to do this daily! It's so much easier to complain, isn't it? But then I realize I sound like one of my kids:)
ReplyDeletebubble burst, sermon not posted yet. Going to dig and see if my kids took notes
ReplyDeleteSurprise! Guess who else is on vacation at church? That's right Diane . . . she is the one who posts the notes. Good thing you have friends and family to help you out with that!
ReplyDeleteBy His Grace and for His Glory!
Amanda
PS No need to go to Jerry's if you want to bring the kids over for sno-cones FREE! Although we are limited to about 6 or 7 flavors!